Blue LLP represents individuals and businesses in government investigations and criminal prosecutions. Our lawyers are experienced and tested criminal defense attorneys who have represented clients at every stage of the criminal process. Informed by a wealth of experience and proven track record, we are able to quickly analyze the law and facts so that we can help our clients determine the best approach in pursuit of the best possible outcome.
Our approach is to prepare every single criminal case or enforcement action as though it were going to trial. This allows us to critically examine the government’s evidence so that we can advise our clients to make decisions that are in their best interest.
We have represented clients in criminal prosecutions, investigations, and regulatory enforcement actions bought by the US Department of Justice, the North Carolina (and other states’) Attorney General, the Federal Trade Commission, and multiple state regulators as well as county prosecutors.
The federal criminal justice system is considerably different from its state counterpart. Federal cases often are more complex, and punishment, which is informed by the US Sentencing Guidelines, is far more harsh. Individuals who are prosecuted in federal court often face tough mandatory minimum sentences, which, in recent years, have been at the heart of calls for criminal justice reform.
Federal prosecutions also are unique because the federal government seems to have unlimited financial and human resources. The investigation of any particular criminal suspect often spans years and involves multiple law enforcement agencies. For example, a seemingly routine drug investigation may involve law enforcement personnel from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), and Secret Service. Additionally, local law enforcement officers, such as municipal police officers or deputy sheriffs, often work with federal agents during an investigation and can also lead the investigation itself.
Representing a client in a federal criminal case requires extensive experience with pre-trial analysis, including the review of discovery and consideration of evidentiary rules that will inform how the government presents its case at trial. Moreover, engaging in plea negotiations that will result in a favorable sentencing outcome necessitates a detailed understanding of the application and interpretation of the US Sentencing Guidelines.
Our experience in federal court in North Carolina is extensive, and includes work in the following types of cases:
- Drug trafficking (crack, cocaine, heroin, marijuana, methamphetamine)
- Mail/wire fraud
- Armed robbery
- Counterfeit currency
- Communicating threats
Recent successes have included the following:
- Dismissal of all charges prior to trial in a federal drug trafficking conspiracy
- Hung jury in federal court on drug trafficking conspiracy
- Dismissal of all charges for a client who was charged with felony armed robbery and drug possession
- Negotiating a favorable settlement for a business and its owners accused of a $27 million multi-state telemarketing fraud scheme
- Dismissal of all charges for a client who was accused of participating in a multi-county vehicle theft ring
- Winning a new federal sentencing hearing (on appeal) for a client who was improperly sentenced as an armed career criminal
- Negotiating a probationary sentence for a client who was charged with the straw purchase of firearms in federal court
- Negotiating a probationary sentence for a client facing multiple breaking and entering and drug possession charges
For more information about our Government Investigations and Criminal Defense practice, contact Dhamian Blue.